... Ecclesiastes 2:26 ...
Cast your bread upon the waters,
for you will find it after many days.

TRINITY-St. ALBAN'S HISTORY

Trinity - St. Alban's Anglican Church of Canada.
1024 Bala Falls Road, BALA, Ontario

Click below to watch a video
on Trinity - St. Alban's Church

Trinity-St. Alban church

Originally named Trinity Church , our parish church was
erected during the summer of 1920 by builder Richard Hamill
and was consecrated by Archbishop George Thornloe on
July 3rd. 1921.

Property and funds to erect the church were donated by Mr. George Edwards in 1919. The building was dedicated free of debt due to the generosity of the summer visitors combined with a considerable sum raised by permanent residents.

The building, built upon solid rock has a masonry foundation and is a frame structure. The exterior and roof were shingled with British Columbia cedar. The church design is Tudor Gothic ,carefully modified in detail for the sake of simplicity and to harmonize with the picturesque environment. The plan of the church is cruciform. The stained glass windows were manufactured by the Dominion Glass Company and the furnishings were designed by The Valley City Seating Company. The electricity was generated from the nearby falls.

As a “summer church” it was never insulated to accommodate winter services. A coal furnace was installed in the blasted out rock beneath the church. Christopher Lord was the church’s first ordained minister, he remained until 1931.

The Ven. J.H. Watson, former Rector of Trinity ( 1967—1980 ) had a growing need for a small room in which to hold Lenten services. Using one of the vestry rooms he created “The Chapel of the Welsh Saints” This name being chosen to comply with the association of Bala, Ontario with the lovely little town of Bala Wales. The Chapel of the Welsh Saints was dedicated by the Archbishop William Wright in 1974. Around this same time the church itself underwent a modification of it’s own name, from Trinity Church to Trinity St. Albans. This being added to commemorate the fact there had been a small church in near by Torrance by that name. This little church had fallen into disrepair and had been taken down in the 1950’s.

In 1975 the Guild room was added under the direction of Rev. Watson and lay reader Jock Menzies.

During Rev. Watson’s stay, the coal furnace was replaced with overhead electric heaters.

The church rectory built in the 1940’s , ceased being used in 1994 and was taken down around 1996. The Guild room at this time also needed replacing and was taken down a short time later.

In 2004 the parish hall was added and was dedicated in Sept. 2005 by the Right Rev. Ronald C Ferris, Bishop of Algoma.

In the spring of 2006 a Belfry following the design of the original by St. John the Divine was constructed and a historic bell was installed. A dedication on the bell of Saints John took place in June of 2006 by the rev. Dr. David Hardie and the Rev. Margaret Johnston under the authorization and approval of Bishop Ferris.

Sunday services are held year round with our winter services taking place in the parish hall.


What Trinity St Albans has to offer you;

We are a busy congregation of 65 families located in the centre of Bala offering activities for everyone.

Our church is handicap accessible and has an audio system for those who find it hard to hear.

Spiritually uplifting liturgy focused on the traditions of Anglicanism coupled with learned preaching and a welcoming congregation is the core of our life. Sunday services finish with a social time for conversation and food.

Services during Lent and Advent often use dialogues and skits with congregational involvement to enhance the spirit of worship. Seder supper, Christmas brunch, candlelight vigils and joint services with our sister congregation of Mactier enhance our celebrations.

Encouraging the growth of young people is a key part of Trinity St Albans. We have a youth program for both elementary and high school age children offered during the week. Our servers guild introduces the liturgy of our church to our young congregants. Summer Sunday school is available for all ages of children and is enjoyed by visitors and members alike.

There is a Yoga program Tuesday and Friday mornings to focus on our physical as well as emotional health.

Our ACW meets monthly and supports may key initiatives in the church and community. Several of our church women have been on medical missions to other countries. A marathon bridge is only one of the fun activities they provide for the community.

Meals on Wheels and The Food Bank are two community outreach programs supported by the parish. Our prayer shawl ministry has touched the lives of people across Canada.

Cranberry Festival is the largest single community event in Bala and our church is grateful for the fundraising opportunity it provides while allowing us to work together for our common good and to open our church to the thousands of visitors to our town who experience its welcoming, peaceful, nurturing presence.

While maintaining our linkage to the past we strive to continue to develop in new and progressive ways to ensure the spiritual well being of everyone who comes through our doors.

Join us any Sunday. We would be blessed by your presence.


Incumbent Clergy.

1918—1924    THE REVEREND CHRISTOPHER LORD

1924—1925    THE REVEREND P. STEED

1927—1929    THE REVEREND JAMES HUTTON

1929—1931    THE REVEREND T. DANIELS

1931—1934    THE REVEREND J. ROBINSON

1934—1938    THE REVEREND R. C. WARDER

1938—1940    THE REVEREND W. R. RUTHERFORD

1938—1940    THE REVEREND W. R. TINDLE

1940—1943    THE REVEREND F. E. JEWELL

1943—1948    THE REVEREND SAM M. CRAYMER

1949—1959    THE REVEREND JOSEPH S DITCHBURN

1959—1965    THE REVEREND PETER S. PARK

1965—1967    THE REVEREND JOHN ROSE

1967—1980    THE REVEREND JOHN WATSON

1980—1984    THE REVEREND WAYNE PUTMAN

1984—1986    THE REVEREND GARY BOYES

1986—1994    THE REVEREND ROBERT KELSEY

1994—     THE REVEREND DR. DAVID HARDIE

1994—     THE REVEREND MARGARET JOHNSTON (Associate)


Pictures of the Church

    
Trinity Church outside,       Trinity Church inside